Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The forest hides the trees

Everyone has a personal style...you just might not know it.
I have a client who was a bit color shy. Her sister had done a great job decorating her home and my client decided to follow her lead. She had her home in San Antonio painted with the same colors as her sister's home up north. Sometimes that works...sometimes.
After several years living with these colors, my client realized something was not clicking so we set up an initial consultation. It was very clear to me that the walls were actually hindering the decor. The furnishings were rich and ornate with a bit of old world detailing, but I could not "see" them. The pale yellow walls distracted me from seeing the richness that my client so loved. "Let's paint" I said. "You have great pieces, but the wall color is doing nothing for them." So, we painted. Transforming the pale yellow to a warm, rust-tinted golden hue and instantly her rooms felt cozier and her furnishings seemed to fit. Window treatments and some new light fixtures gave the rooms sparkle. "I can't wait to show all my friends!" For the decorator touch, I faux finished her columns and really called out those architectural details.


We continued to assess her home and her bedroom suffered as well. No bedding, curtains or sparkle. It didn't take long to create a retreat for her and her husband that they both love. Now, they feel that their room is a stylish getaway. "We have spent an entire Saturday in our new sitting area in the Masterbedroom. It's so luxurious!"

BEDROOM BEFORE: khaki green paint; no bedding or draperies

NEW BEDDING: Soft blue and gold silks with coordinating jaquards and taffetas
NEW MASTER BEDROOM SITTING AREA: Custom embroidery silk drapes with custom chairs, pillows and coordinating ottoman. Paint color is now a soft blue/grey.
So, when you feel something isn't just clicking in your home...give me a call. Let's look it over. You may be hiding some of your best pieces in plain sight.

No comments: